Adina Talve-Goodman One Story Fellowship 2021
Deadline: October 30, 2020
Together with the Talve-Goodman Family, One Story is pleased to announce the Adina Talve-Goodman Fellowship. This educational fellowship will offer a year-long mentorship on the craft of fiction writing with One Story magazine, including:
1. Free tuition for all One Story online classes and programming offered in 2021.
2. Travel stipend ($2,000) and tuition to attend One Story’s July 2021 week-long summer writers’ conference in Brooklyn, which includes craft lectures, an in-person intensive fiction workshop, and panels with literary agents and publishers.
3. A full manuscript review & consultation with One Story Executive Editor Hannah Tinti (story collection or novel in progress up to 150 pages/35,000 words).
Requirements: This fellowship calls for an early-career writer of fiction who has not yet published a book and is not currently nor has ever been enrolled in an advanced degree program (such as an MA or MFA) in Creative Writing, English, or Literature, and has no plans to attend one in the 2021 calendar year. We are seeking writers whose work speaks to issues and experiences related to inhabiting bodies of difference. This means writing that explores being in a body marked by difference, oppression, violence, or exclusion; often through categories of race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class, religion, illness, disability, trauma, migration, displacement, dispossession, or imprisonment. All applicants must be at least 21 years of age as of January 1, 2021.
Checklist: To apply to this fellowship you will need:
1. A fiction writing sample (3,000-8,000 words)
2. A personal statement (600-1100 words)
3. Two professional references (No recommendation letters but please provide: Name, email, phone)
4. A current resume (one page detailing any work or educational experience)
Deadline: Oct. 30, 2020 at 11:59pm EST.
There is NO FEE to apply for this fellowship. Winner will be announced in January 2021.
*If you have been published by One Story, if you have been a reader for One Story, or if you have ever been employed by One Story, you are not eligible for this fellowship.